Background

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Trying Healthy Homemade Poptarts

My version...not quite
as pretty.
The moment I saw these on MoneySavingMom, I had to try them! The recipe is very easy and hails from Heavenly Homemakers. I made 4 different kinds, Grape, Strawberry, Chocolate, and Brown Sugar Cinnamon. The grape and strawberry were made with jam, the chocolate with sundae syrup(heavier than Hershey's syrup, Smucker's brand), and a mix of butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar for the latter. The recipe made about 2 1/2 dozen. My honest opinion is that they are decent, pretty good actually. Homemade cinnamon rolls are much better and I would prefer homemade muffins or scones, but it's fun to try something different.  I liked the Brown Sugar Cinnamon best. The crust is a little chewy and I was expecting a little more flakey-ness. If you had to choose between these and Poptarts, these are way healthier and I love everything that's homemade, but if your kids have had the misfortune of trying Poptarts, they will probably be disappointed...like mine were. Although, they did eat them. On a scale of 1-5, 5 being the best, I would rate them a 3.

6 comments:

  1. good to know! I saw this recipe on MSM after I'd coincidentally googled homemade poptarts the night before. This recipe is different than the ones I found, so I may try the one from Smitten Kitchen that I found since your review of this one. We're anxious to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this one too from her site. I used apple butter. I thought they were great, my kids werent' so interested...perhaps grape or strawberry might be a better choice for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wanted to tell you, "Thank you". Since your inspirational post on reading the bible. I started to read a chapter of the bible at breakfast time. We will see how long it takes us to read the whole entire bible. We use the Doughy Rheims.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, you'll have to let me know how that recipe turns out.

    Very Cool, Josette!!! We haven't even started...still waiting on the bibles to arrive, we received some of the covers but not the bibles yet, they are coming via media mail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, the Smitten Kitchen recipe may be NOT HEALTHY at all! (2 sticks of butter for 9 poptarts.) But they are DELICIOUS!!! Quite a bit of work for 9 poptarts, but delicious nonetheless. I would probably make them for special occasions but not on a regular basis to save time/money. I'd highly recommend the recipe: http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/homemade-pop-tarts/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Michelle...WOW, only 9??? That is a lot of butter.

    ReplyDelete