Background

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

1st Attempt:Black Bean Burgers

In an effort to eat healthier and save money...(HAVE YOU NOTICED THE PRICE OF MEAT LATELY???)...I was anxious to try Black Bean Burgers. I found the recipe on MoneySavingMom
I tweaked it to what ingredients I had on hand.

Black Bean Burgers
1 can drained black beans
1 C. brown rice(we used white)
2 T. salsa
1 egg
2+ C. bread crumbs(used whole wheat buns toasted)
seasoning(I used Mrs. Dash and some steak seasoning)
Mix ingredients together and fry in olive oil until firm and hot.


A few things we learned:
  • Make the rice ahead of time....otherwise it's too wet.
  • Cook for a long time on medium-low heat until firm all the way through.
  • Don't forget the bread crumbs or use crackers..otherwise they will fall apart.
Even my picky eater gobbled these down. No, they don't taste like hamburger, but they are very good especially if you find the right seasoning ratio. The kids had shredded cheddar and ketchup on theirs. Don and I opted for salsa and sour cream along with shredded cheddar. The cool thing is, each burger including the whole wheat bun had over 10 grams of fiber and very little fat. And don't get me started on the cost...like..less than 40 cents a burger!  I think this will be added to our dinner menu options from now on.

3 comments:

  1. Those look good! My husband does not like beans, so I am not sure I could get him to eat it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great recipe for fridays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to try these. Thanks for the reminder. That's awesome your kids liked them.

    ReplyDelete