Background

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Learning Days of the Week/Months of the Year

I wanted an easy way for my little ones to learn both the days of the week and the months of the year.
I made up a song sung to the tune from Happy Days...remember that??
It goes...
"Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
what a day,
thru the whole week with you,
these days are ours
Happy and Free!"

The months are a little more tricky, but I wanted Eli especially to be able spell, recognize, and know what order to put them in. I found a cool pdf HERE that has a ton of ideas, songs, and activities to learn both of these.

On pages 21 and 22 they have colored months to print out which I printed out along with a cute pic that highlighted a memorable part of that month and laminated to make a simple puzzle for Eli. You could really make it super personal with photos of family members birthdays and even make it a liturgical type calendar.

I kind of blended it from Seasons, religious holidays and secular holidays. My thought was for Eli to associate each month with something he identifies with.
Here's what we came up with:

1 comment:

  1. Very cool!

    I have this CD set
    http://www.amazon.com/102-Full-Length-Childrens-Songs-Multipacks/dp/157583572X
    and it has songs for the days of the week and months of the year. We haven't really done much with that yet, but there are a lot of other learning songs on them as well. We have the Bible songs set as well that we listen to in the car (by the same company).

    ReplyDelete