Background

Friday, November 4, 2011

A Challenge for Life

This summer at the Midwest Catholic Family Conference, I was blessed to hear Abby Johnson, a former Planned Parenthood director speak for life. Although at times, her testimony was very disturbing, she made an excellent point. She challenged us, "So what are you doing for life?"


I  have been thinking about that question ever since.


Recently, a good friend told me she going to pray at Planned Parenthood in conjunction with 40 Days for Life. I told her I would go with her. So we packed up the kids and drove to E. Central and prayed silently kneeling. We had no signs, just bowed heads, tears streaming as we prayed the sorrowful mysteries.


For both of us, this was our first time praying in front of a facility. Our family usually stands with our signs every year for the life chain, and usually we see lots of support in the form of waves, honks, and even a few cheers....and yes, the occasional rude gesture, but over the years, those have been rare.


Today, we had nothing to hold up and display. It wasn't the experience I was expecting. First, a group of teenagers strolled by pointing and laughing...we just kept on praying. We had completed the rosary, my friend had to leave, and had hit the half-way mark on the divine mercy chaplet. A man approached us and began speaking loudly and pointing at us in slurred speech. I smiled and nodded in acknowledgement of him. I wasn't worried, but once he began yelling, we finished the chaplet and decided it was time to leave. We were only there a half hour. It seems like a pretty pathetic beginning for us, but we will return... However, I feel like it's best to have at least 2 adults present, for safety reasons.

I am ashamed to say, I haven't ever really been active in any pro-life activities that have taken me out of my comfort zone.
I could go on and on about what I have failed to do, but that accomplishes nothing. I won't wallow, I will instead try to do God's will.

 It wasn't easy to be without a group and to be mocked and yelled at, but that was nothing compared to what our precious Lord endured during His passion, or the suffering of helpless tiny babies fighting for life. 

I can see why this isn't a "popular" activity.
But, it is a necessary one.  

4 comments:

  1. Debi,

    I just wanted to say that by following your blog and seeing your constant strive for perfection in Christ, that you are doing good for this cause. You can offer up your whole life this way. Though the graces are less seen than kneeling openly on a sidewalk they are still there.

    Our Parish has started a once a month (12th of every month) rosary in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe to end abortion and make reparation. This rosary is done in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

    For now, this is what I can do. Besides not supporting busniess that support this. Including not buying from China (if we can help it...everything seems to be made in China)

    God bless you on this apostolate for it is good for the children to "see" this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josette, I hope I don't come across as hoping to "be seen" as a way of trying to earn grace.

    It was very hard for me to do this...I really fought myself to go...that's why I hadn't done it before. It took 39 years to muster up the courage. I don't wish to be looked at...especially when I'm praying.

    I believe it does make a difference, though, I have heard many a story about a mother changing her mind because she saw someone praying...a clear sign that life is indeed sacred...sacred enough for someone to kneel on the ground and beg God to spare lives and change hearts.

    I realize that not everyone can commit to doing this...this is a cause that needs countless prayers...and I know your prayers in front of the Blessed Sacrament are essential!! Thank you so much for doing that...even that is a sacrifice when you have little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No,You don't come across that way at all. I just
    wanted to tell you that I think you do more than you think!!

    ReplyDelete