Background

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Attitude

It's finally happened. We have a teenager. I hear it all the time..."Look out, here comes the attitude!" I've seen this "attitude" a few times. He's tried to make his appearance and he's tried to claim his stake on a few of my children. I won't allow it. I won't have sullen faces, rolling eyes, stomping rebellious feet, smart mouths, slamming doors, and or any form of disrespectful behavior! This is war. I am fighting for their souls. Body language is a HUGE part of how we communicate as people. This is an area that we as parents have to nip in the bud before it blossoms into stink weeds. Just because hormones are changing and growing doesn't mean poor behavior and disrespectful attitudes should be tolerated. We have to NOT tolerate it and we must prevent it from manifesting into a habit. As "they" say, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." We aren't helpless victims to our children. Laziness is all around us and we must resist the temptation to ignore it, or say to ourselves, "This is just a stage, it will pass." Yes, it will pass into disrespect not only for parental authority but for all authority...even the authority of God. I can't claim to love my children if I don't help them establish healthy habits and avoid sinful habits.
"Discipline your son, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to his death. " Proverbs 19:18

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget to pick your battles or else you'll drive yourself crazy! The aliens will give him back in a year or two! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I agree, we have to pick our battles. I have chosen mine. Unfortunately, we have become much too passive in our society with our children's lack of respect for authority.

    ReplyDelete